Make Money on Craigslist: How I Earned $3,500 in 30 Days

Make Money on Craigslist: How I Earned $3,500 in 30 Days

Take Surveys Earn PayPal http://bit.ly/take-surveys-for-paypal

When I first started working from home, 99% of my business came from word-of-mouth – a design here, a few blog posts there. I started every workday by spending a few hours writing cold emails to friends of friends and pitching to freelance gigs found on various sites and Facebook groups. Finding work was as much a part of my work-at-home job as doing the actual work.

Eventually though, as you’ll find out if you’re in the work-at-home world long enough, there will come a time when you decide to scale your business, branch out of your current line of work, or diversify your income. So how can you quickly and easily find new clients and customers to fill this gap?

Make Money on Craigslist: How I Earned $3,500 on Craigslist in 30 DaysThis is how I earned $3,500 on Craigslist in 30 days, using minimal marketing anyone can do.

Now, I’m going to forewarn you that I made money on Craigslist in two very different ways: One, completely average, and the second, a little unusual.

When I decided I wanted to expand my photography portfolio from corporate work to family and portraits, I knew I was going to have to branch out of my current client list. Outside of family and friends, I was at a loss at where to turn. I mean, how do you advertise services you’ve yet to actually perform?

On a whim while spring cleaning, I posted an ad on Craigslist. One $5 ad and a month later, I had landed $2,700 in photography work – with no website, business cards, networking, or marketing. You heard that correctly!

Because of the overwhelming amount of spam and scams on Craigslist, the site now requires you to pay for advertising services—$5. I can confidently say that the ROI on my $5 advertisment was well worth it.

The following $800 I earned through a rather unusual hobby—but before I tell you about it, I want to tell you about how I came to the decision to monetize it. After reading posts on The Work at Home Woman about generating income through finding your niche, I spent a good deal of time thinking about these things:

  • What hobbies do I enjoy?
  • On what subjects am I the expert?
  • Is there any type of work I could spend hours doing?
  • Any topic I could spend hours talking about?

After that, the answer was easy – aquascaping! Aquascaping is the art and design of living, planted aquariums; you can learn more about it here.

Along with my ad for photography and a host of items I found while cleaning out my closet, I posted an advertisement for live aquarium plants. I didn’t anticipate much demand, and at only a few dollars per plant, I didn’t anticipate much profit. But as plants produced from trimmings that I would otherwise have thrown away, every cent earned was (almost) one that didn’t cost me anything to produce.

What I thought would be a low-key Craigslist ad that almost no one would pay attention to, turned into $800 in extra cash over a two-week span. While I don’t think this will replace my day job any time soon; it was absolutely the easiest (and most fun) $800 I’ve ever made!

Do you have a service, product, craft, or hobby that could potentially be monetized? If you’d like to test the waters in a low-risk environment with minimal upfront costs, consider advertising on Craigslist or one of the numerous online platforms available to you.

Here’s how to get high-quality responses and make money from Craigslist advertising.

1. Use quality photos or example pieces.

If you don’t use photos in your advertising, you’re unlikely to get a response – period. And a simple link to your portfolio site is unlikely to be clicked if the person doesn’t open your ad in the first place. Include a minimum of 5-10 photos on your ad to give people a bite-sized preview of your work.

What about writing or more abstract services? Head over to Canva to design yourself a nice-looking service offering design.

2. Introduce yourself.

This seems like such a simple step, but it’s one that’s frequently overlooked! Especially with a platform like Craigslist, making your ad friendly and personable goes a long way to establish trust. Tell people who you are, why you’re posting, and where to find additional information about you.

Make Money on Craigslist: How I Earned $3,500 in 30 Days

3. Tell people exactly what kind of jobs you’re wanting to do.

When you create your ad, consider your prospective clients and customers and for what they will be searching. For me, particularly with my plant ad, I was targeting people who were buying used fish tanks on Craigslist. Think – what are the odds someone would search for the exact genus and species of aquatic plant I was selling? Not high! Instead, I listed my ad for “Live Aquarium Plants”, and in addition to the name of the plant, I included in my description naturally-placed search terms like “fish tank” and “aquarium”.

Do the same with your service. I could have left my photography ad at “Photography”, but instead I individually listed out “engagement photography”, “senior portraits”, etc.

4. Offer a deal or leave room for negotiation.

Now, this may sound counterintuitive if your goal with advertising is to bring in cash, but I assure you, this trick of the trade works – and it works well. Ads that include “OBO” (or best offer), “price negotiable,” or “discounts available” have a roughly 75% greater response rate. Price your services and items so that you have room for negotiation; people love a good deal.

5. Have an onboarding plan in place.

Learn from my mistakes. I was unprepared for was the rush of business I received. My inbox was flooded with emails and looked like a downright disaster zone, most of them asking the same questions, inquiring about the same dates, and almost all of them coming from similar-looking, auto-generated Craigslist email addresses that removed any identifying information. Know how you will handle these emails, organize them, and how you’ll set your rates.

Conclusion. 

So there you have it; these are my best tips for finding clients and customers and making money on Craigslist when you’re just starting out. It also serves as an excellent, free platform for testing the waters of a product-based business you might have in mind. If the demand for your product is so great in such a small, localized area—just think: What could you accomplish with an online store?

Do you use Craigslist to make money? If so, we'd love to hear your story!

You’ll Also Love These Posts:

Studies have shown if you like this blog post — you will also love the following articles.

Aimee Pass is a freelancer living and working in Austin, Texas. She enjoys taking a multidisciplinary approach to her marketing and writing that combines her love of design with darn-good storytelling. She also happens to really love plants (if you couldn’t tell). You can find her on at AimeeDiane.com.

Looking to make money from home or expand your current client base? Here's how to make money on Craigslist and how one freelancer was able to earn $3,500 in 30-days! #makemoney #sidegig #sidehustle #workathome #craigslist https://www.theworkathomewoman.com/make-money-on-craigslist/



via The Work at Home Woman https://ift.tt/2l7RRfI

August 5, 2018 at 10:07PM

https://ift.tt/2vljqGf

Comments